10.09.2009

Belief System

Oddly enough, I had a realization the other day that my "belief" system as a child was much simpler and almost more reasonable than the silly beliefs I have as an adult, unreasonable as they may have been. So, bellow is a list I have compiled of things and ideas I used to believe when I was younger, aside from the usual (Santa, the Easter Bunny, and monsters):


- When someone dies, a part of them splits off into another dimension that doesn't know they have died.

- It blew my mind when I realized that computer screen windows could "cascade", before that I assumed the picture was solid through the screen. The first time I cascaded a window in the foreground and saw the desktop background, it really frustrated and confused me.


- I believed the same thing about television sets.

- I could talk to cats.


- If I didn't pray to god every night, he would kill one of my animals, friends, or family members.

- Closets were portholes where kids could disappear forever if they hid in them.

-When a person turned 21 they could read the minds of everyone who was younger than them.

-That my barbies wanted to be in relationships with each other.

- If I replayed my day entirely backwards, word for word, action for action, and wrote it down on paper, I could travel back in time.

-The government kept track of us through mirrors and that every mirror was really a one way governmental spy camera.

-Clouds were edible, and I was upset that we just didn't try hard enough to harvest them.


-I believed in the Heart Boy- you know, the one who comes around every valentines day and delivers gifts and candy. Since I have stopped believing in the Heart Boy, I have noticed that the candy and the gifts have stopped.


- I didn't understand that two people could have the same name.

- I wouldn't use the bathrooms in 1st grade in California because I thought all of the trouble makers and bullies hung out there and, henceforth, bad shit went down (pun not intended).


- It was more or less a family belief- which I dumbly believed- that Iskabibbles existed. Iskabibbles, if you didn't know, are little tiny people who live under the cattle guards (and cattle guards, if you didn't know- because you have never been to the country, are bridges over ditches used to prevent cattle from escaping onto the open range). We also believed that if you didn't honk your horn before crossing the cattle guard in a car, you would squish and kill them all.

Other than that, I'd say I was a pretty rational child.

2 comments:

  1. Olivia14.10.09

    I believed the same about closets and cats. I thought if you tried hard enough, you could teach cats to talk. Oh, and that cartoons were filmed live and tiny people lived in the radio. Like the cloud theory

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to blogs, and hopefully this will work.

    Honking for ishkaboodles at the cattle guards was fun. We did this all the time as kids at the ranch.

    Your blog is great and very intertaining. You have a gift for writing.

    ReplyDelete